Top Mobile Weekly News #3 – Oscar Winners and MWC 2014


Week three of our Top Mobile News and what a week has been. Taking over after the incredible WhatsApp buyout from Facebook mobile marketing seams to grow ever more with mobile Ad exchanges raising significant cash, and mobile as a medium growing to extreme heights. Mobile World Congress 2014 was also quite interesting, giving marketers food for thought with regards to next trends as well as technology.

Below we have listed our top 9 picks of last week as we saw at the Mobile Marketing & Advertising Stand.

Happy Mobile Reading

  • Users loves their mobile and consider give up social media: Based on a resent report 49% of US adults find very hard to give up mobile technology while the corresponding percentage to give up social media is 11%.
  • Nielsen reports, ever growing smartphone usage, with consumers unable to put their phones down. The UK has taken the lead with Britons using smartphones almost 42 hours on average per week, Americans 34 hours and Italians 37. And to top that, most of the action happens over mobile applications.

MasterPass

  • MasterCard is looking to dive deep into the in-app purchases arena. The company announced during MWC 2014 its plans to expand its MasterPass digital payment service, enabling app developers to embed MasterCard’s SDK for instant in-app purchases. MasterCard also announced during the same conference the acquisition of C-SAM, a digital wallet they invested back in 2012.
  • Bloomberg Terminal for marketers. Unilever announced during last week’s MWC in Barcelona the launch of its first ever programmatic buying platform. Konnect, the mobile real-time biding platform, allows Unilever to target consumers via SMS on feature phones and rich media via smartphones.
  • Burberry extends its partnership with China’s biggest OTT network, WeChat, to include their social profiles as well. It will allow WeChat users to watch live their London Fashion Show live from their WeChat client. Mobile advertising in various OTT Networks has been a critical point. It would be interesting to see whether WhatsApp will follow the same pattern after the Facebook acquisition. 

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 2.39.55 PM

  • BBC World News investigated the influence of advertising between mobile and the web. The study showed that advertising over mobile is twice as effective as the web. The study also shows that over 30% of affluent consumers, when asked, reported that if brands want to be more effective, they really need to be on mobile.
  • The Mobile Advertising Ecosystem Beyond Facebook. There is no doubt that Facebook is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, mobile advertising network having 25% of the $13.1 billion spent on mobile advertising in 2013. However, we found a very interesting list on has offers, that consists of big and medium advertising companies concluding the other 75%. The list consist of big names such as Google AdWorks and Inmobi, and less know companies such as Vungle and Aarki
  • Kahuna, a mobile advertising startup that helps marketeers test their push notifications, raised $11M from Sequoia. Kahuna, as they describe themselves, is a “mobile engagement engine,” creating user generated profiles that allow its platform to deliver push notifications to each individual consumer at the right time and with the right content.

Bonus:  Declaration or war? Alkis shares with us a great article about the the most viral topic of the last weeks.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s